Here’s a homemade hot cocoa mix for those cold winter nights camping under the stars.
Here is a winter favorite – hot Chocolate! How fun would drinking hot cocoa on a cold night while camping be? Make this mix ahead of time, so you don’t have to worry about putting it all together at the campsite. Here is a great homemade hot cocoa mix in a jar for camping and gift-giving.
Related: Camping Gear to Match Your Lifestyle
Camper’s Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix In A Jar
Before I get to the recipe, I want to mention that this recipe is a healthier version of those hot chocolate mixes you buy at the store. And you will spend more money on these ingredients. You may even have to go to two different stores as I did. But may I suggest getting your ingredients and supplies all together now? Then, when it comes time to make the mixes, you’ll have everything in place. Grab a couple of 16 oz wide-mouth glass jars with a lid.
Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix In A Jar Ingredients
Here is a little about each brand and its products. As you can see, I used better-for-you ingredients in my recipe mix, but you don’t have to. Use what you have on hand – camping is more fun with sweet treats!
- Coconut milk Powdered Creamer – Kroger’s Simple Truth – free from 101+ artificial preservatives & ingredients.
- Navitas Organic Cacao Powder – dark chocolate superfood with antioxidants, a source of magnesium & potassium, fair trade certified. Health food store.
- Kroger Brand Powdered Milk – nonfat dry milk fortified with Vitamins A&D and nothing else.
- Wholesome Organic Powdered Confectioners Sugar – fair trade certified, gluten-free, corn-free. Sprouts.
- Enjoy Life Mini Chips – 100% real Chocolate, non-GMO verified, premium chocolate from harvested cocoa beans, allergy-friendly – Sprouts. Kroger. Target.
- Wholesome Organic Peppermint Candy Canes – no HFCS, no synthetic colors, naturally flavored, fair trade certified – Sprouts. Target.
- Marshmallows – you’re on your own on this one. I couldn’t find any I liked, so I went with the freshest from Kroger.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar
You’ll need a 16 oz wide-mouth glass jar with a lid.
Once made, this recipe makes 3 cups of delicious hot cocoa.
Begin by layering your jar with these ingredients, starting at the bottom of the glass jar with number one, then number two, number three, and so on.
- Powdered creamer – 1/3 cup
- Cocoa powder – 3 tablespoons
- Powdered milk – 1/3 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1/3 cup
- Chocolate chips – 3 tablespoons
- Crushed candy canes – 3 tablespoons (3 candy canes)
- Marshmallows – 3 tablespoons or more!
Note: I used a chopper to chop up the peppermint candy canes. It made it so much easier.
How To Make Hot Cocoa Mix
Remove the marshmallows and set them aside for now. With a spoon, mix up the remaining ingredients. Fill a mug with 1 cup of boiling water. Add 1/2 cup of the mix to the mug and stir. Top with marshmallows.
So go ahead – curl up in your tent or by the fire with a blanket and mug, and enjoy the winter nights under the stars with your freshly made hot cocoa.
NEXT READ: My Solo Trip to Hot Springs, Arkansas
Gift-Giving Hot Cocoa Mix In A Jar
Get ready for the gift-giving season for all your friends, family & teachers with this hot cocoa mix in a jar. There’s undoubtedly something special about giving homemade hot cocoa as a gift. This camper’s homemade hot cocoa mix is an excellent gift for teachers, principals, and all your camping buddies. But don’t forget your kids’ music, art, and gym teachers!
Decorate the jar with a festive ribbon for gift-giving and attach a unique gift tag.
Follow me on Instagram for inspiring camping stories.