There are tons of things to do in San Antonio in winter!
The best time to visit San Antonio is in the summertime, but there are a few things to plan when visiting in winter, especially for the first time. Wintertime is an excellent opportunity to see San Antonio in a new light. Here’s a list of a few things to do in San Antonio in winter.
First, check the weather before you go, and if staying at a hotel, call to see if their swimming pool is open. For reals! We had no idea it would be in the high 70s during our road trip in February. But all bets are off regarding the weather in the hill country. Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld Westover Hills hosted my son and me while attending an event.
Visiting San Antonio In Winter
I didn’t even think the pool would be opened in February. It never even crossed my mind that my son could go swimming. Even though San Antonio is down south, it’s not usually warm to swim in a hotel pool in the winter, or so I thought. But, when we arrived, we saw kids swimming in the pool. Yes, it was heated. I will say, however, that the weather was in the 70s, and since the pool was heating, Brody and I made a mad dash to Target to buy him a swimsuit. Eighty-plus dollars later, he had a swimsuit, swim shirt, flip flops, goggles & a snorkel set.
I don’t usually buy swimming gear this early in the year, and certainly not at the total retail price, but I made an exception and had a very happy boy! My bad for not calling ahead. Save some money and call the hotel to see if their pool is open. Chances are, if you stay at the Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld Westover Hills, you’ll have full access to their gorgeous pool.
Related: Our South Texas Frio River Vacation
Things To Do In San Antonio In Winter
Plan for these top attractions and activities while visiting San Antonio during winter. I’ll say – you won’t be disappointed! You may want to check ticket prices as they may be lower than in the summer months. And hotel rates may be lower as well.
- Swim in the hotel’s outdoor pool (probably heated)
- Walking around the River Walk is always fun
- The Tobin Center (next to the River Walk) offers live music and special events.
- Ride the RIO San Antonio River Cruise
- The Trolley is continually operating in winter
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas is open year-round, but the water park closes for the winter.
- Downtown San Antonio is the place to shop
- Historic Market Square – large Mexican marketplace featuring over 100 shops
- San Antonio Botanical Garden
- Natural Bridge Caverns
- The Battle of the Alamo tours
- Visit the San Antonio Zoo
- Seaworld San Antonio – open year-round
- San Antonio Museum Of Art
- Casa Rio – the first restaurant to open on the River Walk in 1942, has outdoor seating. If you don’t mind the birds, it’s a beautiful view right next to the river.
Visiting San Antonio During The Holidays
While preparing my list here, I realized that visiting San Antonio during the winter holidays is very popular. It’s that time when the city becomes beautiful during the holiday season, with mounds of Christmas lights, special events, and plenty of hot cocoa to go around. Here is a list of things to do in San Antonio for the holidays, including seasonal attractions.
- The San Antonio River Walk will be decorated with tons of holiday lights.
- Sing along with the Ford Holiday Boat Caroling
- Six Flags’ holiday event – Holiday In The Park
- Zoo Lights at the zoo
Visiting San Antonio In The Wintertime
Two years ago this month, my mom and I stayed at the same Courtyard by Marriott. The pool was not opened then, so maybe that’s why I didn’t think twice about it being open this time. Our San Antonio trip was a family matter, but mom and I were able to catch a half-day walking around the River Walk, including riding the riverboat ride. Though the River Walk was in full swing, it was cold and dreary. We bundled up next to each other on the riverboat, and I couldn’t ask for a better day to spend with my mom.
I’m sure there are many more things to do in San Antonio in the winter, but the highlight of our trip was my son being able to swim at the hotel. Below is the pool at the Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld – IN FEBRUARY!! AND…it’s heated! So, don’t forget your swimsuits!
Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld Westover Hills
This hotel is a modern, up-to-date business and family hotel all rolled up in one. The Bistro has terrific healthy food choices and is perfect for dinner when you don’t want to get out. My son and I ate dinner there both nights. The atmosphere was enjoyable and warm. Next time you’re in San Antonio for SeaWorld, on business, or to visit the River Walk or anything else, book your stay at the Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio SeaWorld Westover Hills. It’s a fantastic place for kids.