With two huge storms here in Texas just a few short weeks ago and more coming, I thought this would be a great topic to talk about. Tips for keeping puppy calm during thunderstorms may not be something you have thought about, so hopefully, these tips will help in case of a storm that might come your way.
Keeping Puppy Calm During Thunderstorms
We are in storm season now and intense flashes of light followed by loud booms can scare anyone…including our pets. Just think what your little puppy is thinking when they hear a loud boom. It’s a normal reaction that many of us feel during horrific storms, but we shouldn’t have to watch our puppy suffer through it. Whether your puppy becomes clingy, hides under your feet or tears up the carpet, try these strategies to help keep them calm.
Tips for Keeping Puppy Calm During Thunderstorms
- Stay calm yourself. Puppies can pick up on our emotions just like children do. We have two other dogs in the house and I tend to be overprotective of them during thunderstorms, but what I’ve read is if we cuddle them more and show that we are scared, they will feel more anxious.
- Use a blanket. Try wrapping your puppy in a blanket or wrapping yourself in a blanket and putting them in your lap. Often times with them being close to you can help calm their nerves.
- Drown out the noise. Turn on a fan to distract from the loud noises coming from outside. Turning up the TV is also a great idea. You’ve got to keep the weather on, so might as well turn up the volume.
- At Bedtime. I know some will not want their puppy to sleep in their bed, but maybe make an exception when thunderstorms are at night and you’re too tired to get up and you’ve got work in the morning.
- Caress in a certain spot. Instead of patting puppy on the head, try caressing them under their front legs and on their belly. It works with our puppy to calm him down at any time of the day.
- Positive Reinforcement. Once the storm has passed and you see your puppy has settled down, be sure to reward him. It doesn’t have to be a treat, it can simply be giving them their favorite toy. Be sure to pet them too.
- Talk to your Vet. If you see that keeping your puppy calm during thunderstorms is an extreme problem, you may want to talk to your Vet. They may have suggestions other than these. I’d hold off on medication if all possible.
For more on puppies, visit my New Puppy Handbook.
Those are good ideas! We have some friends who have dogs who freak out during storms. This would be so helpful.
Such great tips. I wish I had these years ago during my life in New Jersey. The pups would go nuts!
valmg @ Mom Knows It All says
What a pretty puppy! We’ve never had a dog that was upset by storms. I used to know a woman whose dog was terrified and would hide whenever a storm approached.
I remember our dogs getting so upset during storms (and the fireworks on 4th of July). My gram had a dog who would shudder at sirens. Your tips are good ones. It’s hard to see our pets upset.
Audrey McClelland says
These are all excellent tips. It can be tough to keep a dog calm through a big storm if they’re afraid of them.