If you’re looking for an excellent moist, delicious strawberry bread to make for the holidays, here it is. I have made this Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread either for Thanksgiving or Christmas since the ’80s. Everyone has raved about it for years.
Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread
Back in 1983 when a now distant friend served this amazing strawberry bread at her holiday dinner, I fell madly in love with it, and I wanted to make it for my holiday feast. She wrote down the recipe, and I’ve made it ever since. I may have skipped a year here and there and made something else, but for the most part, this bread has been my recipe that I take to family gatherings and holiday parties.
One small (well maybe significant) change – since I have become a healthy eater, this year I made my homemade old fashion holiday strawberry bread with healthier ingredients.
This recipe card is not the original from my friend, Mary Lyn but is the recipe card I wrote many years ago. It looks like I was going to give it to another friend, but I guess I decided to keep it for myself!! Sorry, Sheri!
As you can see from the recipe card, it doesn’t specify a brand to use for the ingredients, and it has my old married name. Since then, I changed the name to “Old Fashion Strawberry Bread.” The recipe card has been well used and loved.
Below, I have given the ingredients I use now. If using a “better for you” brand isn’t your thing, by all means, use the above recipe. It is a tad bit moister than my healthier version below and served my family well for many years.
Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread (the new)
- 3 cups Bob Mills Unbleached White All-purpose
- 2 cups Wholesome Organic Cane Sugar
- One tsp baking soda (aluminum free)
- Three tsp cinnamon
- One tsp sea salt
- 20 oz package thawed frozen strawberries*
- Four eggs; well beaten organic farm fresh eggs or cage-free eggs
- 1-1/4 cup Dr. Bronner’s Organic Coconut Oil or Nutivia Coconut Oil (melt and let cool before adding to the liquid mixture).
*not sure these strawberries are any healthier but different from what I’ve used in the past. See below.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix dry ingredients and make a hole in the center.
- Smash up strawberries until they become juicy.
- Pour in all liquid ingredients in the hole of dried ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly by hand — no need to get out the electric mixer.
- Pour into a large greased & floured loaf pan OR two regular size loaf pans.
- Bake at 325 degrees for one hr.
I usually use loaf pans, but I had these darling paper bundt cake pans I wanted to use up. Strawberry bread went in and came out a little uneven, but still yummy!!
In the past, I have added walnuts to my strawberry bread. I’ve also drizzled a glaze of confection sugar & water over the top. Most people who enjoy this bread eat it at room temperature, however, warming it slightly with butter on top is always good!! Oh, healthier butter that is (like Kerrygold).
Use a nice bread tray to serve your bread on. I hope you enjoy my Homemade Old Fashion Holiday Strawberry Bread and have yourself a Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year!
You May Also Like