Blackberries are in abundance at the end of May first of June here in Texas. We have two large blackberry bushes in our backyard and they start producing in May. Of course, we all know June is the perfect time to pick fresh blackberries or buy them because that’s when they are grown and are the freshest to consume. Today, I made this delicious Blackberry Lemon Cast Iron Skillet Cake.
Blackberry Lemon Cast Iron Skillet Cake
Here’s a fast way to make this delicious skillet cake
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- lemon pound cake mix
- eggs, lemon & butter (to make pound cake)
- Oil for spraying
- Prepare Lemon Pound Cake Mix as directed on the box.
- Spray the skillet lightly with oil so the cake won’t stick.
- When pre-heating oven, place skillet inside the oven to heat up. According to my husband, this helps the cake cook evenly.
- Using a hand-mitt, slowly take out skillet and place it on top of the stove. Pour blackberries in skillet.
- Top with lemon pound cake batter.
- Place back in oven and bake as directed on cake mix. This particular cake mix called for baking 45-55 mins. I set the timer for 45 mins to check. It was done at 45 mins.
- Let cool, then drizzle the glaze on top (came in cake mix) or make your own, or use nothing
- Serve warm – and with ice cream!
As you can probably guess, any cake mix will work. Just bake it as directed. This particular lemon pound cake mix goes well with blackberries, but you may not find this one, so use any pound cake or cake mix. And if you want, squirt some lemon juice over mix. The sweetness of this lemon cake mix and the tartness of blackberries go very well together. Doesn’t this look delicious?
If you like this Blackberry Lemon Cast Iron Skillet Bake, then you will love my other blackberry recipes. Also, if you don’t get around to using all your fresh blackberries they do freeze well.