It’s when your kids want to go camping, but you don’t want to for reasons not mentioned here. Let them explore and get used to camping under the stars in their own backyard! Here are 12 Backyard Campout Essentials for Kids that you’ll want to have on hand.
The Motherhood sponsors this post on behalf of Energizer. I was provided product and compensation to help facilitate my post. All thoughts and opinions are my own unless where mandatory verbiage was needed.
12 Backyard Camping Essentials for Kids
Summer is upon us, and so is the heat, but that doesn’t stop our kids from wanting to have fun in their backyards. My 6 yr old son wants to have a backyard campout, but we think he’s too young, so I told him we could pretend. I prepared a list of 12 backyard campout essentials for old enough kids to have a backyard campout and for us who one day will have one.
So I buy this brand new tent for my son because I know we will eventually use it for “real” camping. My husband sets it up on the left side of the yard. I wanted to make sure I had all the essentials to make it fun for them, even though it just pretended. I asked my son and his friend to help me develop a few things that they would want at a campout. They both said popcorn, so that’s a must.
Backyard Camping Essentials for Kids
- A tent (if possible, have a 2-man tent or an extra one in case a camper you invited doesn’t have one)
- Sleeping bag/pillow (they can always sleep under the stars, right?)
- Bug spray
- An excellent reliable flashlight for each camper
- Extra Energizer batteries (just in case a camper comes with a nonworking flashlight)
- First-aid kit
- Enough popcorn for each tent
- Water to drink
- Outdoor games
- Ask each camper to bring their favorite stuffed animal, blanket, or whatever they sleep with
- A small brush & pail for clean up afterward or just let the birds eat the crumbs!!
- Most importantly, get parents’ phone numbers (if someone wants to go home); you never know!
I’m not sure what the right age is to let kids have a backyard campout, but if I know my son, I would also prepare a space for indoor sleeping just if he and his friend get scared. But these 12 Backyard Camping Essentials for Kids are perfect for pretend too.
Energizer Batteries for Camping
There are two things I don’t ever want to run out of, and that is batteries and toilet paper! So I make sure I stock up on Energizer batteries and plenty of TP. Energizer being a leader in reliable, responsible, high-performance products, will be your best bet for this summer’s activities. Here’s why.
- Energizer® EcoAdvanced™ batteries are the world’s first AA and AAA battery made with four percent recycled batteries.
- Energizer headlights are lightweight, versatile, and water-resistant with pivoting functionality to direct light where you need it.
- Energizer area lanterns are the safe, reliable way to provide bright 360° light long into the night, at the campfire, or while weathering the storm.
Energizer® Vision HD+ Focus LED Headlight is the highest performing of the Energizer vision headlights having a 250-lumen output and beam distance of 80M. It can also be customized to the desired width. It’s water and impact-resistant, and that’s a good thing if your kid is wearing it!! We also find out it can be switched to a red light, which my son thought was pretty cool.
My husband is all over the Energizer® Fusion LED Folding Lantern. I don’t always get products to review that he can use, but this time I did. With its 330 lumen output, he’ll be taking this on his hunting and fishing trips. He already told me after this “pretend” campout he was hiding it from the little one! The lantern is very sturdy when using the stand on the back, and it can fold up to deliver bright uniform light on any area. Having these two Energizer lighting products on-hand, our little campers will have no problem finding their way back to the tent after playing outdoor games. It’s a must backyard campout essentials for anyone, wouldn’t you agree?